MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. - Marine Corps Air Station Miramar is replacing Rapidgate access, the previous gate access system, with Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS) starting July 30, 2018.
DBIDS, the world’s largest distributed physical access control system, is an identification card scanning system that uses biometric and smart card-based cryptographic authentication to identify cardholders. This system will consolidate local law enforcement alerts and warrants, provide policy-based access permissions using force protection conditions, and quick scanning for peak traffic hours – effectively allowing all installations with DBIDS to communicate with each other.
Non-military personnel cardholders that use Rapidgate access will have until Sept. 30, 2018 to transition from Rapidgate to DBIDS. According to Gunnery Sgt. William Drake physical security chief at MCAS Miramar, the transition is free and the enrollment process takes approximately 20 minutes. Cardholders enrolled in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) will automatically be added to DBIDS.
There are two versions of ID’s provided through DBIDS: programmable or non-programmable. The card holder’s status as an employee will determine what kind of access the individual will need. If the cardholder requires a non-programmable ID, they will require a sponsor and their sponsor will notify the vehicle registration center (VRC). However, if the cardholder requires a programmable ID, they will require a flight line access form from their sponsor, requiring a signature from air operations in building 9211 on MCAS Miramar.
1. To pre-enroll, cardholders can visit https://dbids-global.dmdc.mil/enroll#!/ and reduce the amount of time a registrar will spend entering identity data.
2. Enroll at the MCAS Miramar east gate VRC
3. Cardholders will print out a barcode with a 30 day expiration date
4. Cardholder will bring the print out, their current rapidgate access ID, a second form of government issued identification and their company contract and/or letter of recommendation to the VRC
5. Contractors will be able to exchange their rapidgate ID for DBIDS ID
“It’s better customer service not only for the contractors but for the military community,” said Drake. For questions on DBIDS call 858-577-1463